Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cookin’ the Book: Pioneer Woman’s Comfort Meatballs (Could be a GREAT Super Bowl Appetizer!)

I admit it. I only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, and I truly do enjoy them! I also like the concept of nibbling on yummy food for 3-4 hours and washing it all down with a cold one (be the ‘one’ a soda or beer). The game? I’m pretty happy with the results regardless because I am such a sports fan, don’t you know?

Anyway, completely unrelated to the upcoming world championship of a sport barely played outside of the US and select areas of Canada I made another recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Comfort Meatballs. To recap, I am attempting to try every recipe in the book by June 2010—get this—as written. The ‘as written’ part is tricky for me, because I am a turd and never make recipes ‘as written’. I thought it would be a good exercise in discipline to actually follow directions.

As The Venerable PW states, these are not Italian meatballs. They’re closer in flavor to meatloaf, with a savory-sweet tomato sauce covering the lot. It’s an easy, but not really quick recipe because the uncooked meatballs are put in the fridge on a tray to firm up for half an hour or so, then browned on the stove before being covered in sauce and baked for another 45 minutes in the oven.

My family’s reaction was favorable, but not overwhelmed. As my husband said, “They’re good, but I like the meatloaf more.” However, later that evening he commented, “You know, those meatballs would be really good as an appetizer at a Super Bowl party or something like that.” The man is a genius… yes, that would be just the way to let these puppies shine.

IMG_5352
However, we had them for dinner with fauxtatoes (steamed cauliflower mashed/pureed with some butter/smart balance and light cream cheese). It was quite a yummy meal and we all gave it the thumbs up.

Perhaps Comfort Meatballs won’t make it into the rotation of meals in our house, but I am pretty sure they’ll around a couple of times a year. Seems like they’d freeze perfectly, and also make a great meal to deliver to a sick friend or family with a new baby.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin