Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Beans, beans, good for your heart...

Made taco salad for dinner the other day and made for the second time ever, homemade refried beans. Really easy and yummy.

Take one can of whole pinto beans, undrained, and dump into a saucepan. Add about 1 tsp each of garlic and onion powder... and 1/2 to 1 tsp of cumin. If, like me, you only had garlic salt, be careful. ;) If you did have plain garlic powder, then add a little salt, too. Now, you could be done here. If you're making tacos from scratch (and not a taco seasoning packet), then you probably have some tomato sauce lying around. I always buy the 14.5 oz cans, and the recipe only needs 8-12 oz, so I dumped the rest of the tomato sauce into the beans. It was good! I made it once without, and that is fine, too. They're different, but both good.

Whatever you add, bring it all to a bubbling boil, then mash the beans until they're of the right consistency. No lard, no weird ingredients... I read a recipe that calls for chopped onions, but I have NEVER actually seen onions in refried beans, so I went the powdered route.

Enjoy. No photos of this. Refried beans ain't pretty, folks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin