Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Waste Not…

…birds want not.

Nowadays I go through a crazy amount of bread.  2-4 loaves a week crazy.  I am thinking about trying sandwich bread recipes because I am so tired of going to buy more bread crazy.  I can eat a whole slice of bread, but apparently the crusts are toxic to the kids, and if I leave them on, the ‘inedible zone’ is ridiculously large (waste!), so I trim off crusts for the kids to the tune of 8-10 slices of bread a day depending on morning toast requirements and who’s eating what for lunch/snack.

It may seem like an insignificant thing, but I started to feel guilty about all that food in the trash.  I save the heels of some loaves for breadcrumbs, but I’d be up to my eyeballs considering my breadcrumb needs are pretty scant.  Plus, I didn’t want to make breadcrumbs with bit of ham or peanut butter on them.  I’m picky like that.

One morning a few weeks ago as I was filling the bird feeder for the umptibajillionth time that week I realized who would love the ‘trash’ part of the bread – birds!  I also knew just who I could trust with such a task.  Now the ends and scraps go into an old bread bag until, every day or two, Carter and I go out and scatter nibbles around the front yard.

015 
yeah, he’s wearing his sister’s boots – on the wrong feet

I’m not sure if we’ll bother with it during the warm months, but it’s been a nice way to help the feathered ones through the winter.  Kids love routines, and Carter loves this one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin