Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ramble On...

From about age 18 thru 20 I was in the somewhat obligatory Led Zeppelin phase of music listening that every white bread American seems to have to go through. I still enjoy a little Zeppelin now and then, but have not actively 'listened' to an album in a good 12 or more years. It helps that I had all my "Zep" on tape and have not owned a cassette player for a long time. I still think John Bonham was one hell of a drummer.

Today I was running an errand with the kids and Ramble On came on the radio. All of a sudden I noticed the lyrics, or comprehended them. I admit, a lot of the time I could not make out much of the lyrics to so many of their songs, haha! I suck at picking out words when they're sung/spoken too fast if I can't see the face making the words to go with it. However, today I caught some.
Mines a tale that cant be told,
My freedom I hold dear;
How years ago in days of old
When magic filled the air,
Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair,
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up
And slipped away with her.
Mordor? Gollum? Yeesh. Had I known when I was 18 there were LOTR references in it I'd have never listened to this band. My mom was into Tolkein in the dorky hippy way, and hence I was very NOT into it in the I do not like things my parents like way. Lemme tell you, she tried and tried to read LOTR to me when I was far too young to understand a damn thing, and to this day, while I have read (and enjoyed!) the books, I still skip all that made-up language crap. You'll never find me learning Elvish, sorry.

I googled and apparently quite a few of their songs have references to LOTR. Go figure. And, Robert Plant expresses embarrassment over it. Ha.

It's funny the things you learn when you comprehend song lyrics.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Ha! I don't think I ever knew that.

But I also think that most people don't like songs for their words, just the melodies. Why else would some songs be so famous if all we listened to were the lyrics? (e.g. Wild Thing, You Make my Heart Sing) Guess that's why classical music is still listened to. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin