Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Cookin’ the Book: Pioneer Woman’s Potato-Leek Pizza

001
Wednesday was the big “day before Thanksgiving crazy day” here.  There was a lot of hunting, gathering, and prepping to be done for the big gut bust, so naturally I decided to make pizza for lunch, and try out another recipe towards my goal of making everything in The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I’m attempting to cook every one of her recipes (in the book, not her site!) and making slow, but steady progress.  I might be finished before I send a child to college.  We’ll see. :)
One of the main reasons I hadn’t tried her pizza before is that I have made pizza dough enough times to feel perfectly happy never, ever making it again.  However, we do like to make homemade-ish pizza with the fresh dough from Trader Joe’s and I decided I was going to give myself a ‘day before Thanksgiving' freebie’ and scrawl a checkmark on that page for trying out the unusual topping combination.
I ended up making three pizzas that day for lunch:  plain cheese (for Carter), mushroom (for Bunny), and potato-leek.  I think, to my tastes, I’d like some sort of sauce or something between the potatoes and crust (her recipe calls for simply drizzling a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt).  However, it was a pretty tasty combination and she’s certainly onto something good with the leeks and bacon on pizza with some goat cheese.  I just felt the potatoes seemed unattached to the crust when I bit into it… maybe a white sauce would do it for me.
Potato-leek pizza is a cookbook only recipe, so I can’t link to it.  :(  However, she describes her pizza dough HERE.  Plus, the eggplant-tomato pizza in the recipe sounds pretty dang good.  :) Mangia.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin