Pages

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Co-op Cookin’: Broccoli Soup

4158849606_4c9a7c67e0

Oh, I love this soup! Since I’m suffering no shortage of fresh broccoli from my CSA share, it’s a staple for lunch, sometimes all alone, sometimes with a sammich. :) I based my recipe on THIS one from Soule Mama, but as she did with her own recipe, I have changed and altered “my” way enough in the past year or so that I feel okay sharing here. It’s a very basic, forgiving recipe. You can cream it after pureeing, but it’s equally delicious without the cream. I tend to leave out the cream, and add a splash of half and half to a bowl after reheating a serving so that I don’t need to be careful of curdling. Fresh broccoli is great, but frozen works very well, too. I like chicken broth, but vegetable broth would be a nice vegan alternative… I imagine soy milk would also work well in place of the dairy. I’ve also put grated cheese on top for a nice change of pace.

You can see where I am going here! You almost can NOT mess up this soup – UNLESS you add too much broth or water to it. It’s best when it’s thick. Believe me on this. I made it watery once and it was no bueno. Other than that: foolproof!

Broccoli Soup

2 lbs Broccoli Florets
1 Qt Chicken Broth
1-2 Leeks, depending on size, chopped
2 large potatoes, skinned and chopped
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/3 C Half and Half or Cream

Prep: Place all ingredients except Half & Half or Cream in large pot. If necessary add a little water to JUST BARELY cover ingredients, and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook 45 mins or until potatoes mash easily with spoon. Remove from heat and blend/puree using whatever you have (I like my immersion blender). If using cream, you can stir in now, or add to each bowl when serving (it helps to delay adding the dairy if you’ll be reheating a serving at a time over the next few days just to reduce the ‘fuss quotient’).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin