Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Souper Yum


So yesterday I cooked the ~8 lb ham. Yum. I had ham and hominy and eggs twice in 24 hours, and Bunny and Paul had plain old ham steak with eggs, plus Paul has been eating ham-out-of-hand all day, and there is still a ton left. My main goal was getting the bone and ancillary meat to make split pea soup. I am so glad legumes are back on Paul's diet after years of no split pea soup, or it being seen as some major splurge (for the record, beans and legumes lower insulin resistance and the impact of both the carbs in the meal you're eating *and* the next meal, so there!).

Anyway, it was a very easy recipe. Take 2 lbs dried split peas and dump into 4 qts water, bring to boil and simmer 3 mins, then let sit covered for 1 hour. Then bring back to simmer along with about a cup each of celery, carrot, and onion. Add about 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried thyme, 4 bay leaves, 1/4 tsp pepper, some celery seed and put in the reserved ham bone and any meat you're willing to give up for the cause. Simmer about 90 mins. Depending on how thick you like it, you may want to thin it with some chicken stock. Voila.

I'm putting away some to freeze for a meal after Cole comes, and we'll nosh on more in the coming days. Tomorrow I think I will make a double batch of "Big Martha's" meatloaf and freeze one. Except I prefer oatmeal to bread in it. It's what I had growing up, and what I like. Sue me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin