Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Pie of Her Choosing = Back to School Dinner

IMG_20120819_191844

Some people have lovely back to school traditions, like the meaningful dinner, with crowns, presents, and, if they’re really on the ball, some inspirational theme for the year. They make special decorations, and it’s all so…. especially SPECIAL.

Me, I start to mock myself in my head before I even get halfway through the idea of such a thing. Don’t get me wrong: we’re good people. We really enjoy our time together as a family (most of the time). I do try very hard to set up good times and the kids and I do a lot of fun things together.  We love each other, and tell each other that—often.

But, we’re also a family of smart alecs. Evening TV time is not unlike Mystery Science Theater 3000, the live version. We are all fluent in sarcasm, and it’s closer to a first language than anything else. I guess what I am saying is I’d probably laugh myself out of town before they even did if I even started in on the kind of heartfelt celebration a proper Back to School Dinner-Celebration entails. I can just imagine it now… So, I did what I do nearly every Sunday evening when it’s warm enough: I slapped the tablecloth onto the picnic table and we ate outside. Heck, Carter wasn’t even wearing a shirt (maybe not underpants either, to be honest – he enjoys the feel of flannel PJs au naturel, he says).

However, I do like to do something special now and then to mark an occasion and told Bun I’d make her any pie she wanted from A Year Of Pies. She surprised me by choosing the one pie I’d probably be least likely to select, and it was aaaa-mazing. I bungled the transfer from baking sheet to plate, but it was delicious.

Back to School Feast Celebration Normal Dinner
Grilled Eggplant
Peanutty
Coleslaw
Homemade Baked Beans (Bittmann)
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Peach Barbecue Sauce
Hotdogs for the little guy
Nectarine and Lavender Crostata

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin