Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's all a matter of perspective

Isn't it weird how perception changes your reaction to the same thing almost instantly?

Yesterday at Bun's school there were men excavating outside. I was pretty sure at first they must be working on the electrical problem the building has been having, where the breaker trips if, say, the coffee pot and the fridge are on at the same time. Seemed reasonable to me.

Went inside and the place reeked of onions. As we were in line up, waiting for Bunny to get her nametag, I joked maybe they were serving just a big pile of onions for snack today. Then Skyler's dad said he thought it might be the sewage line they were working on and that's what the smell was. He sounded authoritative. Instantly, I began to feel woozy, since, well, onion-poo is a bad smell! I was going to deal with it, but ugh. It was not good, and I could see I was not the only parent going green in the face.

Then, it turned out potstickers was part of a snack the cook mom brought for the working parents that day. Viola--that was the onion smell. Again, instantly, I liked the smell again.

Did the smell change? No! My perception of it made me amused, then revolted, then hungry all within about 3 minutes. Hmmm. There has to be a deep thought there. ;)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin