Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

A QUICK PEEK AT JAZZFEST

Not the one in New Orleans… that would warrant a nice long look… Sunday was the Apex JazzFest downtown. The kids and I were out busying ourselves while Paul worked on some code and needed quiet, so I decided we’d check out some local culture.

There was a large outdoors venue with a beer garden, which, when we peeked in to see the band, looked like people were enjoying themselves. The odor was evocative of a fraternity keg party, and Bunny even noticed the beer-y smell. Pubs up and down the street were set up as venues that people who’d bought wristbands could enter to hear more bands, and musicians also were performing on the street.

ApexJazzFest 004

The weather had been threatening rain all day since Bun and I went to the Farmer’s Market in Holly Springs, and we were rewarded for carrying our umbrella when the skies opened up, so we didn’t really stay long. The food trucks did look promising, though.

ApexJazzFest 029

ApexJazzFest 007 ApexJazzFest 026

ApexJazzFest 027

ApexJazzFest 002

I didn’t get a photo of their set up, but I met Dave of Tequila Dale’s Wings just that morning at the Farmer’s Market, and he does have some yummy (booze free) sauces and salsas. I bet those wings were tasty…

ApexJazzFest 005

At the risk of sounding like a big old grump, I was kind of underwhelmed. Perhaps the later acts were more genre specific, but Will Smith’s old DJ buddy Jeff was was jazzier than the main venue band. Yeah, they had horns, and I am no jazz expert, but I doubt a cover of Blurred Lines (while fun!) or a Lady Gaga song (I dunno, one where she says, Oh La La?) really fit the bill. They had horns, but I still think there is more to jazz than that. Or, maybe I just needed to pay for wrist bands and then $5 per cup for keg beer to get in the spirit? ;) I want to say, maybe if it was just Paul and me we’d have liked it more, but honestly, I am not sure. The inside venues probably were more fun? Maybe it’s just that it’s not really a kid-friendly event.

It was a good excuse to do some walking up and down Salem Street, though!

ApexJazzFest 006

ApexJazzFest 034

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin