Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

PLAYING TOURIST: UNION SQUARE & BICENTENNIAL PLAZA

Sometimes during lunch I simply go up to the ‘cafe’ for our employees and, depending on the others there and my own mood, either socialize or enjoy a quiet few moments reading while I munch on whatever I packed myself while I was making the kids’ lunches that morning. Other days I need to stretch my legs and get a little fresh air.

I’m lucky that the area of Raleigh in which I work is culturally rich. As I was commenting to my brother in-law recently, it “feels like a real place.” My sister laughed and said she wasn’t sure what on earth I meant by that, but, it’s the only way I know how to put it. I like a real city. There needs to be a ‘there’ there, to mangle Gertrude Stein’s gist.

After a particularly “must do all this just so” morning where I focused on only one, important, detailed and multi-step task for hours on end, it was a nice reward to get out and simply walk quietly and snap a few photos.

I admire the artistry and relevance of statues, and decided to really take a good look at them as well as enjoy the last gasps of fall’s brightness fading into the bareness of winter, which will be adorned in other ways to celebrate the holidays.

031

034

037

038

039

047

052

Each of the 50 state capitals received an exact replica of the Liberty Bell in 1976.

055

058

061

065

066

067

068

072

079 

I took these photos only a week ago, but in the time since, the trees are more bare and they have lights in them. Wreaths hang from every street lamp on Fayetteville Street and the other streets have oak leaf & acorn decorations on them (Raleigh is the “City of Oaks”), and soon a large tree will be up in front of the Capitol. I was a little grump-ish about the lights being up before Thanksgiving, but I admit they’re very pretty lit up at night as I exit in the dark.

081

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin